Thursday, September 26, 2013

Words of Inspiration and Motivation by Early Childhood Professionals

Oh the journey into the minds of great educators is a wonderful path to explore! Sharing ideas is just part of the fun and interaction between educators who love to embrace the world of teaching and give the children all we have to offer and extend in it the wisdom of others. What a gift knowledge can be for so many. :-)

This week I was able to research someone I had not heard of previously and surprisingly to me as she has so many accomplishments to her name and that is Ann Turnball, a leader in the special Education field. Ann's son had Down's Syndrome and Bipolar and she and her family knew first hand the struggles he faced each day, but he didn't conform and lived a full, successful life until his sudden death at the age of 41.

This week we are to share some quotes from the people we chose for our assignment . One thing that stood out to me that she said in a YouTube video I watched titled Turnball (Retrieved from: www.YouTube.com/watch?v=ua_PNQSB6-0) "I say I was privileged because more than any other experience or person, Jay taught me more and influenced me more about what is truly important in life" (Turnball, 2008). Jay was her son and her inspiration to all she did throughout her career and continues to achieve, so for me he has been a huge contribution to the early childhood field and to all the children who have special needs. This research has benefited so many students and teachers and is changing lives.

In another YouTube video titled 2008 Inclusion Institute ( www.YouTube.com/watch?v=jfybydcla) Turnball states the important factors in special education and early education is:

IDEA & RESULTS
* Equality of opportunity
*Full participation
*Independent living
* Economic self-sufficiency.

It is through these ideas and studies that we have gained new ways to help these children succeed.

The next person is Lillian Katz who is well known throughout the early childhood field and was involved in the development of the Project Approach. There are a couple of her quotes I'd like to share:

"We are doing earlier and earlier to children what we shouldn't do later" (Lillian Katz, 2011)

"Curriculum is not delivered. Milk is delivered" (Lillian Katz, 2011).

"Curriculum should help children make deeper and fuller understanding of their own experience" (Lillian Katz, 2011).

Reviewing the video from week two The Passion for Early Childhood (Laureate, 2013),also provided insight into what made other educators pursue their field. For instance Leticia Lara stated that at a young age she realized families needed support. She came from an immigrant background and had to help translate to her mom, she said it helped her to see that parents who had help made a big difference. She is now the regional manager of zero to three.

Also Louise Derman-Sparks who knew she always wanted to be a teacher and always had a passion for it. "Nurture children to grow to their fullest potential because the early learning years are the most critical years" (Derman-Sparks, 2013).

I'd also like to share a couple other inspiring quotes for teachers.

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge" Albert Einstein

"If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself" - Confucius

"One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. the curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child" -Carl Jung


                                                                    Jill

7 comments:

  1. Your quotes are inspiring words to the field of early childhood. There are so many contributors to our profession it is hard to put our fingers on just a few. Thank you for sharing the inspiring words of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your quote from Carl Jung. All our "canned" curriculum takes out the human element of teaching. It is easy for teachers to fall into the habit of regurgitating the curriculum in front of them. To go beyond and make it meaningful is what teaching is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing teachers supplementing the curriculum, if they are not I don't feel they have taken ownership.

      Delete
  3. I love your quotes :) I agree with the quote frome the media clip "Nurture children to grow to their fullest potential because the early learning years are the most critical years" (Derman-Sparks, 2013). That is truly my passion to provide disadvantaged children the nurturing they need, to reach their fullest potential. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really happy for both of us choosing Lilian as our admired person in the Early Childhood field. I believe you must be motivated and inspirited a lot by her wisdom words and experienced theories. I was touched by Ann's video as well. Taking care of special needs calls on lots of love and patience, it is even hard to a mum. I also like the quote "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge". I think the element of 'awaken joy' is passion. Without it we can hardly make fun with knowledge to children. Thank you for sharing all these wise words~ :)

    Vivian Lanyan Lu

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the curriculum quote! I find that it is very evident and observable when a teacher has delivered a curriculum rather than taught, shared, and explored. Teachers passion is evident when you see them in their teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Curriculum should help children make deeper and fuller understanding of their own experience" (Lillian Katz, 2011). -- This quote is amazing and I completely agree! I think a huge issue is that children do not know how to make meaningful connections and a lot of that is because of the way in which the curriculums are developed!

    ReplyDelete