Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Some things I enjoy in teaching Early Childhood

Books, books and more books! Can't get enough of them when it comes to teaching children! I have so many favorites and I will share more throughout this course, but I wanted to list a few to get started.


Since Fall will soon be upon us, I just had to mention the above book The Runaway Pumpkin! It's a great book to read and has some repetition and it really engages the children. They giggle and laugh out loud at the story. It's one I try to read each year around this time.


And I'm sure you're all familiar with the Froggy story books. These are so much fun to read to the children and they are a favorite of my two girls as well! Fun, silly antics and of course they all like to chime in and yell....."Frogggyyyy!" :-)

Another absolute favorite series of mine is the Magic Tree house books! Great story lines and educational as well. So many themes and learning activities can be based off these books. She even has a web site you can visit for more ideas and lesson planning.

I'd also like to share a few of my favorite quotes from children's books I've read that have a lot of meaning and are worth sharing and pondering.

"The moment where you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever being able to do it"
                                            J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

"If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely"
                                           Roald Dahl, The Twits

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose"
                                            Dr. Seuss,Oh the Places You'll Go!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"
                                            J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

"I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship"
                                           Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

"Your braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
                                          A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

As for sharing a child's drawing, I had to choose one my 7 year old daughter made me the other day.
This picture means a lot to me because she made it right after I received my BS degree, and she told me she knew how hard I worked and how I always seem to be able to do everything and do it well. Totally melted my heart and I have this hanging up right in our kitchen where I can see it every day.

I knew at a young age I always wanted to be a mom and a teacher and I couldn't be more proud of my girls. I work with children who have special needs and my daughter rides to school with me each day and home at the end of the day. She thinks it's pretty cool I have a special badge to get into school and that I help other kids. She wants to be just like me one day she said and that brings me so much joy! Working with children who have special needs just makes me appreciate my children even more and I know how truly blessed I am!

                                                                          Jill

5 comments:

  1. Jill,

    Your passion for children shows in everything that you do. I can see your dedication to our field. I particularly enjoy the drawing that you posted, as well as the story. I admire your work with children with special needs.It takes alot of hard work, patience, and dedication. I also love that you expose your girls to your career. I think it's great that your girls know what you do, and aspire to be like you. That speaks volumes of your character.
    Keep up the great work;-)
    Thanks for sharing!!
    By the way... those books look great, I have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "Froggy" books. I used to read them to my class when I was a teacher in college. Even now when I cover a room I also find a Froggy book. They are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The moment where you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever being able to do it"
    J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

    I LOVE this quote! It says so much about how strong the power of belief is and children need to know that no matter the circumstances, believing in yourself can take you to places never imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes were caught by your 'The run away pumpkin', because I am using a very similar one in my class. It is called 'the run away Pizza'! Even the picture style is very similar, haha, so coincidentally! :)

    From your self introduction and this article I admire you to balance your work and family so well. Working for special needs calls for love and patience, as well as professional and experience. This is a potential direction I am thinking of, but I still have a long way to go.

    I am going to take one of your quote to sharing with my class kids--
    'Your braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.' It is encouraged to say these words to the little once, as they do need to be motivated a lot. I guess you are a start teacher who is good at praising children. And I believe you are a good model to the younger ones. You make me think of my current coordinator as well, who has been working in EC for 25 years and has got a very good reputation. I am so thankful to have the chance to learn from both you. Thanks for everything you are sharing.

    Vivian Lanyan Lu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, there are several wrong typing mistakes in the reply. Sorry about that!!!!

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete