Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Personal Childhood Web (Week 3)


What a great assignment this week...the opportunity to share what the people in our lives meant to us when we were children and the influences they had upon us, and still do today.
I must say I had a very blessed childhood for I was surrounded by so many wonderful people who influenced me in different ways. The assignment calls for up to five to mention, but I could write a book on my blessings.
The first people I have to mention are my mom and dad, two truly amazing people who created a loving, stable environment for me and my sister to grow up in. They took the time from their busy days to be involved in my life and to encourage me to try news things, to help others and to enjoy the beauty of nature around me. Inspiring me to find and marry a great man and raise a family of my own. I could not ask for better parents or a greater support system then the one I had at home. To this day they are always there for me, supporting me, standing by me and offering advice. I am so very blessed to have them as my parents.
My grandmother was also an influence during my childhood. She came to live with us when I was young and was a big part of our family. Unfortunately I never knew my grandfather on my mom's side or my grandmother on my dad's side as they passed away at a young age. I knew my grandfather on my dad's side a few years before he passed away. So my mom's mom, my grandmother that lived with us was there for me growing up. She shared stories of her childhood and offered advice, took me places. I remember her being very frugal and not having a lot of material things. She grew up in the Great Depression and I never could understand when I was little why she saved everything! I can remember her washing sandwich baggies and aluminum foil to reuse, and from that I learned about being aware of what I have and appreciating those things.
Another lady that was very dear to me and like a grandmother was Mrs. Peterson. One of the greatest people I ever knew! She always did so much for others and was a joy to be around. She was always very positive and loved to sew and crochet and be out doing things in the yard. She liked coming to visit with us because we had five acres and my dad and mom worked hard creating a lovely yard and sanctuary for everyone. Still a place I love to visit today. I loved hearing her stories and listening to her knowledge. She would always towel dry my hair after my baths, which included a scalp massage that about put me to sleep! LOL. So many positive, wonderful memories from this amazing women.
My "uncle" Ellis was another influence in my life as a child. He is my dad's best friend and that is why I refer to him as my uncle. One of those down to earth people that will do anything for his family and friends. I remember when I was learning to drive and he offered for me to drive his brand new vehicle! I didn't want to because I was afraid I'd do something to it. He just said "no matter what happens to it, it can be fixed or replaced, no problem. But you cannot be replaced and your safety is what matters, just trust in yourself and your driving abilities." He was a Marine and in Vietnam and would share stories from his time there. Sharing other stories with loud laughter and smiles, just happy to be with his friends and family. Accepting of others for who they are and not passing judgements. Good lessons learned from him. Still visit with him and his family today and consider them all family, my girls call him uncle Ellis as well. :-)
This is just the beginning of a long list of people who have touched and influenced my life in some way. I am who I am today largely in part by the positive experiences I had growing up. I always knew I wanted to be there for others and give back my time to them and help those children of broken families that may not have had a place to go. My parents always took in my friends and my sister's friends. We each had friends that needed a place to stay for long term and my parents took them in no questions asked until they could go home again. Opening their hearts and homes to others so I learned early about giving of myself to help others in any way I can. You never know in this life when things can go bad and it may just be us needing that support from someone.

Would just like to end this post by sharing another one of my favorite quotes:
"Children are happy because they don't have a file in their minds called "all the things that could go wrong"
-Marianne Williamson.


Jill


6 comments:

  1. I am amazed, in a good way, that your Uncle Ellis allowed you to drive his new vehicle. It shows how much faith he had in you. I think everyone needs an Uncle Ellis in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, You have such wonderful memories! I loved reading your blog post today. It made me smile because I could feel the love you have for these people and the joy you feel when you speak of them.
    Michelle Nutt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your big quote on the top of the page. Children definitely will remember how you make them feel rather than what you give them. I think that many children in reality will appreciate what we as educators and caring people will provide for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family is amazing. I wish that I could have experienced your grandmothers scalp massages (sounds so relaxing). Your family had an positive impact on you as a child. Im glad to hear that you have such great memories of your family. That is truly a blessing:-) Love your quote of the week.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill,
    I liked the quote you ended with. I strive hard to stay positive within my life. Many look at the glass half empty. When do you think it changes? When do you think the mind goes to the negative. I love this field because it reminds me to look at things through a child's eyes.

    I think I would really like your "uncle". Having people in your life that do not judge you is so important. Than you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used quotes in your blog post. You have wonderful memories about your family and those who cared about you. It's obvious that you had loving relationships with each of these people.

    ReplyDelete